Iran says it struck a US military base in response to a reported US attack near Bandar Abbas as negotiations between Tehran and Washington continue.
Tehran says it retaliated against a U.S. military base after a pre-dawn attack near Bandar Abbas amid renewed regional tensions.
Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) announced Thursday that it had targeted a U.S. military base in the region after what it described as a U.S. attack near Bandar Abbas Airport, warning that any further military action against Iran would face retaliation.
In a statement issued by its public relations office, the IRGC said U.S. forces launched aerial projectiles at a location on the outskirts of Bandar Abbas before dawn. Iranian forces subsequently struck the U.S. air base from which the attack allegedly originated at approximately 4:50 a.m., according to the statement.
The IRGC described the operation as a warning against future attacks and said any renewed aggression would trigger a stronger response. “The responsibility for the consequences lies with the aggressor,” the statement said.
The escalation coincided with reports from Kuwait’s military that “air defense systems are confronting missile and drone attacks.”
Iran has repeatedly stated throughout the conflict that any U.S. military facility used to launch attacks against its territory would be considered a legitimate target. Iranian officials have also stressed that while Tehran seeks to maintain friendly relations with neighboring countries, it would respond directly to the source of any military attack.
The latest developments followed reports of new U.S. military operations around Bandar Abbas. An Iranian military source cited by Tasnim News Agency said US forces struck areas surrounding the city, with explosions heard across the region but no casualties or material damage reported.
Iranian media later reported three explosions east of Bandar Abbas and the activation of air defense systems.
Reuters, citing a U.S. official, reported that U.S. forces carried out additional strikes against an Iranian military site near the Strait of Hormuz and intercepted several Iranian drones that were considered a threat to U.S. personnel.
Earlier this week, U.S. Central Command said American forces targeted what it described as missile sites in southern Iran and vessels allegedly attempting to deploy naval mines.
In a related development, Tasnim reported, citing an Iranian military source, that a U.S. oil tanker attempted to transit the Strait of Hormuz after disabling its radar system. The vessel was reportedly forced to retreat after the Iranian navy responded and opened fire.
The renewed military activity comes amid ongoing diplomatic contacts between Washington and Tehran and has raised concerns about the durability of current ceasefire efforts.
According to sources cited by Tasnim, recent talks have made progress, particularly regarding the release of Iranian assets frozen in Qatar. However, outstanding differences remain over the final wording of a proposed memorandum of understanding.
The sources said any announcement of the agreement should be made jointly by both parties and warned that a unilateral U.S. declaration could be “not entirely accurate.”
Under the framework reportedly under discussion, the parties would seek to end military operations on all fronts, release frozen Iranian assets, lift the maritime blockade, and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
The same sources indicated that, following implementation of the initial phase, negotiators would enter a 60-day period, with the possibility of extension, to address issues related to Iran’s nuclear program.

0 Comentarios